Here are a few recipes for delicious, healthy sandwiches that your kids will love!
1) Almond & Pineapple Sandwich
- 1 (8 ounce) package softened cheese/ low-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple
- 4 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
In a small bowl, mix together softened cheese and crushed pineapple. Spread 1/4 of the pineapple and cheese mixture on a slice of bread. Top with a tablespoon of almonds, and cover with another slice of bread to make a sandwich. repeat with remaining ingredients.
2) Pear & Walnut Sandwich
This fruit sandwich is a unique yet delicious flavor combination.
- 8 slices bread
- 1/2 cup (or more) of homemade labneh
- 2 ripe pears
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- Place the nuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat. Cook the nuts, stirring frequently, until they are golden and fragrant, around 5 minutes.
- Core and thinly slice the pears.
- Toast the bread slices.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of labneh on each bread slice. Sprinkle the nuts evenly over half of the bread slices. (To amp the salty or sweet flavors, add a pinch of salt or a drizzle of honey.)
- Finish each sandwich with pear slices, alfalfa sprouts, and the remaining bread slice. Slice in half and serve.
3) Chicken, Mayo & Cashew Sandwich
Why go for canteen food when you can cook up this yummy snack in a few minutes!
- 3 cup (480g) cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 4 green onions (scallions), chopped finely
- 1/2 cup (60g) roasted cashews, finely chopped
- 3 (450g) stalks celery, leafy ends cut off, and stalks chopped finely
- 1/2 cup (150g) mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup (80g) sour cream
- 20 slice (900g) white bread
- 10 slice (450g) wholemeal bread
- Put chicken, onion, cashews, celery, mayonnaise and sour cream into a large bowl, mix the ingredients together with a spoon.
- Spread half the chicken mixture over 10 slices of white bread, put a slice of wholemeal bread on top of each. Spread the rest of the chicken mixture over the wholemeal bread, put the other 10 white bread slices on top.
- Use a serrated bread knife to cut the crusts off the sandwiches, cut each sandwich into four triangles.
4) Choco Hazel Banana Sandwiches
A healthy, indulgent and super easy-to-make sandwich!
- ¼ cup PH Choco Hazelnut spread
- 4 (1.5 ounce) slices whole-wheat bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 medium ripe banana, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Spread 1 tablespoon Pureheart Choco Hazelnut over each bread slice. Layer banana over the spread on 2 bread slices. Sprinkle with salt. Top with remaining bread slices.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches to the pan; cook 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Remove sandwiches from the pan; cut into triangles or strips. Dust evenly with powdered sugar.